What are rodents?
Rodents plague Bay Area home and business owners throughout most of the country for most of the year. They have become used to living near people and can find their way into any structure at any time. The most common rodent intruders are mice and rats. They can contort their bodies through very small openings to get into structures in search of food and shelter.
Norway rats, roof rats, and mice our area’s most problematic rodents. Norway rats have a dense, heavy body and tend to stay at ground level. Roof rats are smaller, lighter rats with exceptional climbing abilities and tend to enter into buildings through the roof. Mice are a small rodent species with an oval-shaped body and ears and a tail covered in a light layer of velvety fur.
Are rodents dangerous?
There are many reasons rodents are considered dangerous. They can spread disease and cause damage to the interior and exterior of your home. Rodents all have front incisors that continuously grow throughout their life. They use their sharp teeth and strong jaws to feed, gather materials to make nests, and to defend themselves. They chew their way into homes and once inside chew through food containers, walls, furniture, wires, pipes, and more.
In addition to being damaging pests, they are dangerous pests because of the many diseases they can spread on surfaces and contaminate food with, such as salmonella, E. coli, hantavirus, and rat-bite fever.
Rodents reproduce quickly, and the more mice and rats living on your property, the more damage they will cause. At the first signs of rodents living in or near your home, it is important to partner with a professional to get to the root of the infestation, eliminate them, and prevent their return!
Why do I have a rodent problem?
Rodents are equal opportunity pests and live in a variety of areas, including cities, suburbs, and rural communities. Rodents are pests that won’t hesitate to move into a structure at any time of the year. They move inside while foraging for food or to escape harsh weather — cold temperatures, hot temperatures, or very rainy weather. Once inside, they learn very quickly to enjoy the easy access to food and the consistent temperatures our homes provide.
Where will I find rodents?
Just as diverse as the species of rodents that live worldwide is where rodents prefer to nest:
- Mice live outside in tall grass and landscaping near our homes. They often then move inside and nest in kitchen cabinets, behind large appliances, and in our basements or attics.
- Roof rats, inside of homes and other buildings, prefer to live in attic spaces, behind wall voids in upper levels, or rafters. Norway rats are usually found inside in the basement or behind walls at ground level.
How do I get rid of rodents?
The most stress-free way to get rid of rodents and other pests from your Bay Area property is to partner with Bay Pest. Meeting our customers' unique pest control needs are our top priority!
Our dedicated professionals can identify your specific pest problem, provide the services needed to get rid of them, and the follow-up services necessary to prevent them from returning! To learn more about our solutions to eliminate pests from your residential or commercial property, reach out to Bay Pest today!
How can I prevent rodents in the future?
To prevent problems with rodents on your property or in your home, follow our top prevention tips listed below!
- If rodents are currently a problem in your home, after getting rid of them, seal any entry points in your exterior to ensure that they are unable to return.
- Stop rodents from being able to hide out of sight and gain easy access to your home by cutting back shrubbery, brush, and tree limbs away from your home’s exterior walls.
- Remove excess woodpiles, brush piles, and other debris from your property that rodents can hide within.
- Stop roof rats from climbing fruit trees by placing sheet metal around the base.
- Regularly harvest fruits and vegetables from gardens and fruit trees.
- Don’t provide rodents with easy access to their favorite foraging spots. Keep lids on trash cans and compost bins, pick up uneaten pet food, don’t leave leftovers out in outdoor eating areas. Remove bird feeders from your property.
All The Problems Mice Can Cause In Your San Jose Home
Why Can't I Get These Mice Out Of My San Jose Home?
Why DIY Rodent Control Often Fails In Bay Area Homes
How & Why Mice Invade Bay Area Homes
Six Easy & Effective Rodent Control Tips For Bay Area Properties
The Bay Area's Complete Guide To Effective Rodent Control
How To Keep Mice Out Of Your Bay Area Home
How Dangerous Are Mice In The Bay Area?
The Problem With DIY Pest Control In the Bay Area
Five Of the Most Effective Rodent-Prevention Tips for Bay Area Residents
Are There Rodents In My Bay Area Home?
Six Rodent Prevention Tips Every Bay Area Resident Should Know
Interesting Facts About Mice In The Bay Area
What To Do About House Mice You Find Inside Your Bay Area Home
How To Effectively Keep Rodents Out Of Your Bay Area Business
The Key To Getting Rid Of Rodents In And Around Your Bay Area Home
Schedule Your Free Inspection
Complete the form below to schedule your no obligation inspection with Bay Pest.