What are mites?
Mites are small pests (most are about the size of a pinhead) that are closely related to spiders. There is a wide range of mites that live both outside and inside our homes. Mites have piercing mouthparts that they use to feed. They will pierce the skin of a plant skin to feed on their liquids or animals to feed on their blood. Mites are wingless and unable to jump, so their main mode of transportation is crawling. Adults have eight legs that they use to move from place to place.
Are mites dangerous?
Mites can be dangerous. The problems that mites cause include:
- Feeding on and contaminating stored pantry items.
- Causing plant damage.
- Biting people or animals and creating skin irritation.
- Causing secondary infections due to excessive itching.
- Triggering allergies and asthma attacks.
- Spreading disease.
Why do I have a mite problem?
The most likely reason why mites have become a problem in your home or yard is that there is a suitable food source — grass, leafy plants, decaying vegetation, your pets, or you or your family. Mites are thriving on your property because they can feed and breed. Mites may find their way into your property on their own or be brought in inside something purchased from a store or garden center — potted plants, sod, dry goods, clothing, boxes, or similar items.
Where will I find mites?
Mites live successfully both indoors and out, depending on their exact species. You'll find them in lawns, gardens, crops, stored foods, and inside of homes. If you suspect that you have a problem with mites either inside or outside of your home, contact us at Bay Pest to identify to species and put into place the services needed to eliminate the infestation.
How do I get rid of mites?
The most stress-free way to get rid of mites and other pests from your Bay Area property is to partner with Bay Pest. Meeting the unique pest control needs of our customers are our top priority!
Our dedicated professionals can identify your specific pest problem, provide the services needed to get rid of them, and the follow-up services necessary to prevent them from returning! To learn more about our solutions to eliminate pests from your residential or commercial property, reach out to Bay Pest today!
How can I prevent mites in the future?
To prevent problems with mites on your property or in your home, follow our top prevention tips that are listed below!
- Keep your lawn cut short.
- Don't overplant landscaping plants on your property. Cut vegetation back away from the exterior of your home.
- Purchase plants, sod, and other landscaping materials from a reputable source.
- Don't buy dry goods from the store if their packaging is ripped or torn.
- Inside your home, vacuum furniture, rugs, and areas under furniture that collect dust regularly.
- Place plastic bug proof covers on mattresses in your home.
Schedule Your Free Inspection
Complete the form below to schedule your no obligation inspection with Bay Pest.