What Every Bay Area Resident Should Know About Ant Control
March 15, 2022
More than 700 different species of ants exist in the U.S. Ants are typically social insects that create large nesting colonies with hundreds or thousands of members that are divided into groups or castes with different roles. They are regular invaders among barbeques or picnics in outdoor areas and will commonly be found indoors.
Ants have a segmented body, antennae and may appear in various colors. How long is an ant’s life span? The life span of an ant may range from only a few weeks to more than ten years, based on the species. Ants begin as an egg and then progress through stages as larvae and pupae until reaching adulthood—a process that may take one to two months.
Are you faced with dilemmas such as how to keep ants out of hummingbird feeders, pet food bowls, and garden areas? You are not alone; in fact, ants are very resourceful at tracking down food sources and can communicate their find to others using pheromone chemicals that they produce.
How To Identify The Type Of Ant Infesting Your Bay Area Home
How long is an ant’s body? The majority of ants have a body length ranging from ¼ to ½ of an inch. Some of the most common types include:
- Carpenter ants: Similar to termites, carpenter ants can create significant damage to the wood parts of a structure. Carpenter ants do not consume wood like termites, but they burrow through the wood.
- Odorous house ants: The odorous house ant is commonly seen in moist or damp areas of a home and is named as such because of a strong odor that will emit when crushed.
- Pavement ants: Pavement ants are black and typically construct their nests near sidewalks, driveways, and other similar surfaces.
- Fire ants: Although they are typically seen in exterior areas, fire ants can deliver a painful sting when they feel threatened.
The Problems Ants Can Cause On Your Bay Area Property
Do ants carry diseases that pose health risks for humans? Ants are known for carrying salmonellosis, E.coli, streptococcus, and several other harmful conditions.
How To Get Rid Of Ants In The Bay Area & Keep Them Away
There are several tips for keeping ants away, including:
- Keep kitchen areas clean by regularly sweeping floors, wiping down counters, and promptly putting away leftovers.
- Trash cans containing food scraps should have a functional lid.
- Fill any cracks or crevices along the home’s exterior near the foundation with a durable caulk or sealant.
- Apply weatherstripping to fill gaps around windows and place sweeps along exterior doors to limit access.
Natural Ant Prevention Tips For Bay Area Properties
Borax, a natural substance that poses minimal human health risks, has been proven to hinder the reproductive cycle of many species of ants. Some evidence has shown that spraying pyrethrin compounds, which are commonly derived from chrysanthemum flowers, are effective against ants. Although results vary, many individuals suggest that ants are repelled by coffee grounds, vinegar, some essential oils, and more.
Do ants carry diseases that could harm my pet? Ants can create allergic reactions among many types of pets, as several kinds may bite or sting them. The majority of incidents are not serious; however, contact a veterinarian if your pet is showing any adverse symptoms.
Local Pest Extermination Company
Our team of experienced professionals knows how to get rid of ants, how to keep ants out of hummingbird feeders, and various other valuable services that have proven to solve problems for property owners in this region. As a local company, we also remain focused on using eco-friendly products when possible. Contact our office for an onsite consultation today.