Now Is A Good Time For Pest Prevention For Your Bay Area Property
August 19, 2020
If you are like many Bay Area property owners, you are worried about pests, but mostly during the summertime. However, while certain pests are more common in hot weather, there are just as many pests that become more problematic as the weather begins to cool.
Certain pests look for places to shelter over the winter, and they begin searching for a place away from the cold weather as fall comes along. So, while you will see less of summertime pests like flies and mosquitoes, the following pests will become more abundant in the fall:
Because of the problems that these pests cause, fall is a great time to focus on pest prevention for the cooler months.
What Issues Do Fall Pests Cause?
While some fall pests are mostly just a nuisance, others pose significant risks to your health, your family’s health, or to the safety of your home. Many of the most common fall pests, like rodents and cockroaches, are considered dangerous pests. There are two main categories of risks associated with fall pests:
1. Health risks: Rodents and cockroaches are two of the most dangerous pests found in the area. Cockroaches can transmit diseases such as salmonella and gastroenteritis while rodents can spread hantavirus among other things. Also, these species commonly contaminate food, and some can cause allergic reactions and asthma attacks. In addition, while most spiders are harmless, some species can hurt humans with their venom.
2. Property damage: The second concern with fall pests is that they can ruin the structures of your home. Rodents are the most common culprit as they are constant chewers. They are known to gnaw through pipes, wires, drywall, and more.
The Best Ways To Prevent Fall Pests
Dealing reactively with these common pests during the cool months can be extremely frustrating. Prevention is much more effective and will likely save you time and money in the long run. While following prevention steps isn’t a 100% guarantee that you won’t have pest problems during the fall and winter, you can reduce the chances. Here are a few simple and effective pest prevention steps:
- Address moisture problems by fixing plumbing issues.
- As many pests are attracted to humid environments, use dehumidifiers.
- Make sure crawl spaces and attics are ventilated.
- Seal up entry points by installing door sweeps and weather stripping.
- Make sure that screens in doors and windows aren’t broken or torn.
- Store firewood at least 30 feet away from the exterior of your home.
- Clean your house regularly including vacuuming and sweeping.
- Prepare your lawn for the winter by mowing and clearing leaves.
- Keep outdoor trash cans fitted with secure lids.
- De-clutter your home with a special focus on closets, basements, and other infrequently-used areas.
- Store pet food inside.
The Top Fall Pest Prevention Method
While you can help keep pests out of your Bay Area property by following the above steps, the most effective way to prevent and remove any pest infestation, no matter the time of year, is to work with Bay Pest Solution. Our licensed technicians receive continuous training, so you can trust you're getting the best in pest control. Plus, we make it easy for you to protect your home from pests by offering high-quality, customizable pest control services. Schedule your free inspection!