Most Common Ants Found In The Bay Area
June 16, 2020
Not many pests have as much variety as ants do. In The Bay Area alone, there are over ten different species of ants known for causing trouble in and around homes. To help you better understand what problems and threats ants pose, here is everything you need to know along with some solutions you can use to keep ants in general out of your home.
Different Ants & How To Identify Them
To save some time, we won’t be breaking down all of the different species of ants here in The Bay Area, but rather the three most likely to be found trying to invade your home: Argentine ants, odorous house ants, and carpenter ants.
Argentine ants are 2.2 to 2.8 mm long and are typically light to dark brown. The nests of Argentine ants are usually found outside in moist soil, nearby or beneath buildings, beside sidewalks, or under boards.
Odorous house ants are 2.4 to 3.3 mm long and have dark brown to black bodies. One of the best ways to identify these ants is by their unevenly shaped thorax when observing them from the side. These ants nest both indoors and outdoors in a variety of locations.
Carpenter ants are 3.4 to 13 mm long and are red, black, or a combination of the two. The biggest thing that sets these ants apart is that they build their nests in wood structures. If your home has wood that has been softened by water damage, rot, or decay, these pests might decide to move in.
Problems Ants Cause
Although most ants are no more than a nuisance, some ants can be seriously harmful and destructive. Carpenter ants, for example, destroy homes with the way they construct their nests. These nests can become expansive, costing homeowners thousands of dollars in repair work after discovering them.
Other ant species, such as the Pharaoh ants, are known to carry and spread dangerous diseases, including salmonellosis, staphylococcus, and clostridium. These diseases are most commonly picked up from trash bins or dead and decaying organisms and then brought into homes and spread around.
How To Prevent Ants From Getting Into Your Home
Ants are tricky little creatures, but if you know even a little bit about how and why they get into your home, you can stop them. Here are some of the best prevention tips for you to use in and around your Bay Area home.
- Purchase a caulking gun and use it to fill in gaps, cracks, and small openings around your home’s exterior.
- Invest in high-quality door sweeps for all of your exterior doors.
- Inspect window and door screens around your home and repair or replace ones that are broken or ripped.
- Make sure the weatherstripping around your house is in good condition.
- Run water through your gutters when it isn’t raining and make sure they are not backing up or leaking.
- Repair broken or leaky piping and or fixtures in and around your home.
- Trim back tree branches and bushes at least five feet from your home’s exterior.
- Replace or repair any structural wood around your house that has been negatively affected by water damage or rot.
- Keep your yard clear of clutter and debris.
- Clean your home thoroughly at least once a week.
- Store leftover foods inside airtight containers and make sure no stored foods are accessible for ants to find.
- Pick up and clean out your pet’s food and water bowls each night before going to bed.
For an easier answer to ants, trust the professionals here at Bay Pest. With our help, all you have to do is sit back and enjoy an ant-free home. Give us a call today to find out more about our ant control services or to schedule a visit for your Bay Area home.