Six No-Sweat Ant Control Tips For San Jose Property Owners
October 28, 2020
Did you know that ants are some of the most common household pests around San Jose? If you own a home or a business, you’ll probably have ants in or around the building at some point. There are many ant species found in the area, and all of them can cause problems such as food contamination.
It is worth pointing out that not all ant species act the same. Some can be more dangerous or destructive than others. However, regardless of the species, ants can be invasive and hard to remove, and none of them are welcome houseguests.
While you’ll want to prevent ants from becoming a problem, and remove any current ant problem quickly, it’s still worthwhile to know the different species and how to tell them apart. Here are the most common ants in San Jose:
- Argentine Ants: These ants range from light brown to dark brown and are mostly considered a nuisance, but they are invasive due to their large colonies. They have twelve-segmented antennae.
- Odorous House Ants: This species is dark brown or black with large abdomens that have an almost striped appearance. They are best identified by the strange smell of rotten coconut they emit when smashed.
- Carpenter ants: This species is destructive because they tunnel through wood to build their nests. They can be dark brown or black and have a single node that connects their thorax to their abdomen.
Six Tips To Prevent Ants
Because ants are so invasive, they are hard to get rid of once they establish your property as a home. So, the best way to address ant problems is to prevent them before they even begin. The first set of measures you should take to keep ants away are to address underlying factors that attract ants to your home or business in the first place. Here are some ways you can reduce food and water sources that appeal to ants:
- Store pet food indoors and in sealed containers.
- Clean up any indoor and outdoor food or drink spills immediately.
- Keep kitchens cleaned which include mopping and doing dirty dishes regularly.
- Take out the trash often.
- If possible, store all food in airtight containers.
- Get rid of any overripe or rotting fruits or vegetables outside the home.
How To Keep Ants From Coming Inside
Removing the things around your property that ants need to thrive can greatly reduce your chances of an ant invasion. But, you can further prevent these tiny, frustrating pests by looking for possible access points and sealing them up.
Given how small ants are, it can be difficult to get rid of every single entryway, but you can focus on some key areas. First of all, make sure that any screens in doors and windows are intact and make repairs if necessary. You can also install door sweeps and weather stripping to make it harder for ants to slip in between these small cracks. And, finally, look for any holes or crevices around walls and your foundation and seal them up with caulk.
Quality Ant Prevention And Removal
No matter what species of ants you’re dealing with around your San Jose property, or if you are looking to prevent future infestations, the experts at Bay Pest have you covered. With over 40 years of experience and a pest-free guarantee, our technicians are the best ant control solution in the area. We provide ongoing ant prevention options and can also remove any current infestations. To discover more about our services, or get a free estimate, give us a call today.