Keep Rats Away From Your Bay Area Home This Holiday Season
December 19, 2021
Rats infiltrating your Bay Area home may cause several problems over the holiday season. To avoid the diseases rats carry or the destruction they may bring, you should learn how to prevent rats and invest in professional rodent control.
Types Of Rats In The Bay Area
There are two main species of rats in the Bay Area that you may commonly encounter – the roof rat and the Norway rat. While the roof rat prefers to live in higher-up areas, such as attics, and is an expert climber, the Norway rat prefers lower areas, such as crawl spaces or basements. Once either of these types of rats enters your home, they can cause significant problems due to their constant gnawing and scratching.
Rats can chew through almost any material and may soil your home with their urine and feces. Additionally, the diseases rats carry include serious illnesses like hantavirus, tularemia, leptospirosis, lymphocytic choriomeningitis, and salmonella. You may contract these via direct contact with the rat or by consuming food these rodents may have contaminated.
Understanding how to get rid of rats depends heavily on learning the best prevention techniques and what attracts rats to your home in the first place. Follow our tips below and contact the professionals at Bay Pest Solution for more advice or assistance.
What Attracts Rats?
Several factors may attract rats into your homes, such as easy access to food, water, and hiding areas. The following five tips can help you remedy these factors and prevent rats from starting an infestation on your property:
- Proper food and trash storage are essential in stopping rats. Ensure that all waste is disposed of in tightly sealed bags and put away leftover food immediately. Also, clean up food and drink spills or dirty dishes promptly.
- Declutter your home often, making sure to throw away cardboard stacks and other unused items. This reduces rat hiding places.
- Moisture issues may easily attract rats, especially Norway rats, to your home. Fix all leaks and ensure your property has proper ventilation.
- Clear your yard of debris and ensure that the grass stays trimmed low. This will reduce outdoor hiding spots for all types of rats and deter them from creating burrows in your yard.
- Keep all outdoor pet food in tightly sealed containers and consider removing the bowls at nighttime, as unprotected food is a major draw for rats.
How To Prevent Rats
In general, rats will enter your homes through any gap or crack that they can find. A significant tip in preventing rats is to thoroughly inspect and seal any potential rodent entry point in the windows, doors, foundation, or roof. You may want to invest in a chimney cap to deter roof rats and should use a chew-proof material, such as steel wool, to properly seal each gap. Make sure to take your time with this, as rats can squeeze through holes as small as a quarter.
The Best Way To Get Rid Of Rats In The House
The best form of rodent protection and the best way to get rid of rats in the house comes from professional assistance. The experts at Bay Pest Solution are knowledgeable in removing all types of rats from your home and eliminating infestations so you can live pest-free and peacefully enjoy the holidays.