How To Get Rid Of Cockroaches: A Step-By-Step Guide For Homes In The Bay Area
September 21, 2023
Finding cockroaches in your house can leave you feeling like your home is under attack. These insects pop up seemingly out of nowhere and are hard to eliminate unless you work with an expert. Professional cockroach control in the Bay Area is the best way to deal with a cockroach infestation, but you still need to know when to make the call and whether you have an active infestation on your property.
Let’s take a look at the steps you need to take to get rid of roaches for good.
Step One: How To Identify A Cockroach Infestation
Before deciding whether to call cockroach control experts, you need to know if you have an infestation in your home. Luckily, a few telltale signs can help you decide if you have a full-blown infestation. Here are the things you’ll need to look for:
- Living insects: Seeing living roaches in your home is a surefire sign that you have an infestation on your hands. Finding even a single living roach should be your first sign that it’s time to schedule a professional cockroach control appointment.
- Droppings: Cockroach droppings tend to be blunt and cylindrical or resemble coffee grounds. If you notice droppings on your floor or countertops, you likely have a roach problem in your home.
- Shed skins: Cockroaches shed their exoskeletons as they grow. You likely have an infestation if you find these skins around your home.
- Musty odors: Roaches produce an off-putting musty odor as they move around your home. You might have an infestation if your home smells musty and can’t figure out why.
Watch for these signs around your home. And if you notice even one, consider calling in an expert.
Step Two: Understand The Health Risks Related To Cockroaches
Cockroaches in the Bay Area may seem like a nuisance, and while they are, they can also pose a serious threat to your health and well-being. Cockroaches are known to spread bacteria and pathogens as they move about your home. These pathogens include the following:
- E. coli infection
- Typhoid fever
In addition to the above diseases, cockroach saliva, droppings, and urine can increase allergies and even asthma attacks in those with upper respiratory conditions. Working with professional cockroach control specialists will help you avoid those health hazards.
Step Three: Call In The Experts For Total Cockroach Elimination
If you think you have a cockroach infestation, the best thing you can do is contact an experienced cockroach removal specialist as soon as possible. The sooner you do, the easier it will be to eliminate these unwanted insects.
During your appointment, your service professional will identify the extent of the infestation, develop a treatment plan, and treat your home to get rid of the roaches for good.
Step Four: Tips To Prevent Roaches From Coming Back
While professional treatments are the best roach control, if you want to get rid of roaches and keep them from coming back, there are still a few things between professional treatments you can do to reduce your risk of a new infestation. Here are a few easy tips to help you keep roaches away from your home:
- Seal any cracks and crevices around your home’s exterior immediately.
- Use mesh screens over vents and drains to prevent entry.
- Fix any leaks or causes of excess moisture in your home.
- Store your food in airtight containers.
- Take the trash out regularly and clean your trash cans often.
These tips can help you keep roaches from coming back. But if you have an active roach problem, don’t try to deal with it alone. Work with trusted cockroach control in the Bay Area, and contact Bay Pest today to schedule an appointment.