How Dangerous Are Mosquitoes In The Bay Area?
August 27, 2021
Mosquitoes are unabated in their pursuit of your blood, which helps them to live. They will buzz around you until they can nibble on your skin. When all is said and done, you’ll have welts on your body that are ugly, itchy, and red. The bugs make it hard to have fun outside in the Bay Area.
All over the world, health professionals insist that mosquitoes are a significant medical threat. An array of diseases are transmitted by these flying insects. When you consider their natural habitat, it seems impossible to manage their populations. Learn now what your options are, what risks mosquitoes bring, and how Bay Pest can assist you.
How Do Mosquitoes Behave? What Are the Dangers?
The word “mosquito” means “little fly” in other languages. These insects are a tiny 0.12 to 0.35 of an inch long, with scaly wings and bodies. They also have fine legs and pronounced noses. Blood is fundamental to the production of eggs, which explains why female eggs are the ones that bite humans. Water is another needed element, but all mosquitoes thirst for it. Larvae are most adamant about the fluid’s organisms. Don’t be surprised if you see loads of these pests by standing pools. Lots will surround greenery as well because it’s full of nectar. Keep your eyes peeled if your home or business is in the zone of vegetation or a body of water. Many species of mosquitoes exist; 3,500 in estimation.
Mosquitoes will come through open doors and windows, and structural gaps too. They prefer to settle and gather in low-traffic spaces that are dark and moist. Expect to see them in areas like basements, laundry rooms, and closets. An infestation is present if you repeatedly have bites on your person or see the insects.
The diseases mosquitoes can transmit have staggering effects:
- Acute joint pain and fever come with the incurable chikungunya virus.
- Chills and sweating are symptoms of malaria.
- Fever, rashes, and nausea are what you might experience with dengue fever.
- Kidney, liver, and heart complications are linked to yellow fever.
- Birth defects in 5% of infants are a result of the Zika virus.
- Fatal neurological responses accompany the West Nile virus, but 80% of patients are asymptomatic.
How Can You Prevent Mosquitoes?
While controlling the outdoors isn’t a realistic option, curating your land for mosquito deterrence is. You’ll have to be more meticulous with your exterior care, wardrobe, and drinking choices. Otherwise, there’s a chance you’ll inadvertently attract these bugs but you can try to repel them by:
- Using candles with essential oils like lavender and peppermint; they have repellent ingredients.
- Laying out mosquito traps. Be sure to clean them often.
- Drying pet drinking bowls, drain swimming areas, and eliminate other standing water.
- Cutting the grass and trimming the greenery on a routine basis. Avoid overwatering it, and drain it properly.
- Getting rid of organic debris on the lawn.
- Washing your gutters regularly.
- Don’t wear black, blue, or other dark colors. Mosquitoes can see these well, so opt for bright hues.
- The content from alcoholic beverages will seep from your pores and draw mosquitoes; be mindful of ingesting it.
- Staying on alert when near a watery place, and go indoors at sunset.
- Mosquitoes are most active at this time.
What Can Bay Pest Do About Mosquitoes?
Common methods for addressing mosquitoes will rarely garner long-term outcomes or eradicate infestations. For instance, candles create gases that the bugs love. On top of that, many shelf items and pesticides are very toxic. We at Bay Pest have mosquito control treatments that are both highly effective and safe. Our expert technicians will use industrial-grade backpack foggers and more. One-time visits for special events are available. Call today for a free estimate!