Are Roaches Taking Over Your Home In The Bay Area?
January 11, 2023
Most people do not realize that they may already have many of these creatures living with them when they first see the evidence of roaches in their homes. The only tried and true method of effectively dealing with cockroaches is to understand how to detect the roach presence and the things attracting them to your home. Pest control in the Bay Area is crucial to helping you maintain a healthy living environment for your family.
How to Tell If You Have a Cockroach Infestation In Your Home
Cockroaches in the Bay Area are nocturnal creatures. They wait to come out until they can do so under the shadow of darkness. When you turn on the lights, they scurry into cracks and crevices and wait for the lights to go out again. By the time you see one in the daytime, many of them are already living with you.
Signs of a cockroach in the Bay Area include:
- Seeing a roach when you turn on the lights at night, especially in the bathroom, kitchen, or laundry room
- Seeing roach droppings, which look like tiny little coffee grounds that are about as big as a ground black pepper flake; they will usually be found on the backs of cabinets, behind picture frames, or in the corners of cabinets and rooms
- Finding empty egg cases where the young roaches have hatched out; these cases will be between 6mm and 10mm in length and are typically a light-reddish brown in color
- Discovering skins of the roaches that they have shed
- Food packages that have small holes chewed into them; roaches also chew tiny holes into potatoes, fruits, or vegetables that may not be in a sealed container
- Noticing an unusual musty odor, which cockroaches produce and can be an indication of a more serious infestation
If you notice one or more of these signs, you should seek professional cockroach assistance to eliminate cockroaches.
Roaches In Your Home Are A Major Health Risk
Professional cockroach control in the Bay Area will keep these disease-spreading insects from crawling all over every surface in your house. Roaches are unsightly and pose a significant health risk to your family and pets.
German cockroaches carry more than 33 bacteria they can leave behind on surfaces they touch with their bodies or legs. The most common diseases spread by roaches include major illnesses like typhoid, cholera, and E. Coli. Cockroaches also spread dysentery, salmonellosis, and gastroenteritis.
Individuals with asthma or breathing conditions such as COPD may have increased breathing difficulty when roaches are in their environment.
What Attracts Roaches To Your Home
The insects come looking for a source of water, rotting vegetation like leaf matter, animal waste, trash, and anything they can eat. Do not assume that the roaches have nothing to eat because there are no crumbs of food around. These insects will even eat the glue from the back of your wallpaper. They are not picky eaters.
How To Get Rid Of The Roaches In Your House For Good!
The best way to get rid of cockroaches is to work with a professional home pest control service in the Bay Area like Bay Pest. It is also recommended to employ these cockroach prevention measures:
- Sealing up any gaps around your windows and doors greater than ¼”.
- Checking for gaps around drain lines, water lines, and conduit using caulk, copper mesh, or mortar for concrete.
- Sealing around the tops of your baseboards with appropriate caulk.
- Fixing any leaking water pipes on the interior or exterior of your home.
- Raking leaf matter away from the edges of your home.
- Hiring professionals to inspect, treat and maintain protection.
Bay Pest specializes in residential home pest control services. With the help of experienced technicians, you will not have to worry about roaches in your dwelling again. Give us a call today for a free quote and to learn more about our residential and commercial pest control services in the Bay Area.